HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT BLEEDING AFTER BIRTH
- Every woman experiences vaginal bleeding after giving birth, even if you have had a caesarean.
- This bleeding is known as lochia, and is a combination of mucous, tissue and blood that your womb sheds as it replaces its lining after you’ve given birth
- Although the degree of bleeding varies from person to person, it typically lasts between 24 to 36 days
- Bleeding will start off heavy with a red to brown-red color, and will eventually change ot a yellowish and then white discharge
- Even when bleeding has started subsiding you can have flare-ups
- Contact your doctor if bleeding is excessive, or if it has a bad odour